The first thing that ever puzzled me about the man I used to know as SuperDaE was that he didn’t sound Australian.
I couldn’t detect an accent.
SuperDaE told me back then, during our first long-distance call from New York to wherever he was Down Under, that he got that a lot. He swore to me that he really was Australian. Over the next month he would tell me many, many things that were hard to believe. I’d eventually be able to confirm half of it. I was left to wonder about the rest.
He’d claimed to know about the next Xbox and PlayStation, claimed to really have twoprototype versions of the next Xbox. He said he’d had access to next-gen games, that he hadHomefront 2 and Sleeping Dogs 2, that he’d played Gears of War 3 a year before it came out and that—after he drunkenly told Epic about it—they’d sent him a poster. He could send me a photo, if I wanted to see it.
A month after we’d first talked, he’d convinced me he’d done many of the extraordinary things he’d said. I’d changed my impression of him from possibly being a disgruntled, anonymous game developer to being a hacker—a really good hacker. “I’m more than that,” he told me with a laugh during one of our many calls. “I’m just an image.”
Our most recent phone call happened on Saturday, February 16th. We talked for two hours, me trying to confirm things he’d said before. He told me his wildest stories yet. I asked him if he expected to wind up in jail. “Possibly,” he told me.
At that moment, he sounded naive. Possibly?
“I try to be optimistic,” he said. “But yes.”
On Tuesday, February 19, members of the Western Australian computer crimes police force raided the home of SuperDaE, aka Dan Henry, aka Dylan. They had a warrant. Dylan—that’s his real first name (he asked that his last name not be used)—said they had an FBI agent with them. They took his computers. They took piles of papers. They took a souvenir cup that was shaped like a penis. He says they took his phone, froze his assets.
“I’ve lost everything,” he told me when I found him again on Twitter a couple of days later. He said his life was in ruins. “Was what I did wrong?” he asked me. “Did I really deserve it? As the saying goes, curiosity killed the cat.”
The Rise and Fall of SuperDaE, A Most Unusual Video Game Hacker
For the rest of the story, click.
42 Notes/ Hide
- epicrainbowlove likes this
- kronicthunderlbp reblogged this from kotakucom
- lulutheblue likes this
- petfibebi1982 likes this
- newwavehesperiandeathhorse likes this
- drakelara likes this
- quindolevelup reblogged this from kotakucom
- fizzynoodle reblogged this from kotakucom
- theneonblueowl reblogged this from kotakucom and added:
- theneonblueowl likes this
- alectrifiied likes this
- g10rsh likes this
- ianserralde likes this
- heroeant reblogged this from kotakucom
- novellaantigirl likes this
- rustbucket12 likes this
- hedgeworth reblogged this from kotakucom
- edgaritho likes this
- addictiveinsanity likes this
- howtodothecharlestonpanda likes this
- impulsiveblankthoughts likes this
- gothamisburning reblogged this from kotakucom and added:
- 43miles likes this
- svknight reblogged this from kotakucom
- deanvenett reblogged this from kotakucom
- deanvenett likes this
- pimpsac likes this
- hatewizard likes this
- multifandomsexual reblogged this from kotakucom
- multifandomsexual likes this
- legundrybandityangus reblogged this from hatewizard and added:
- hatewizard reblogged this from kotakucom and added:
- reconedgoose reblogged this from kotakucom
- fiendlife likes this
- eltopoxl reblogged this from kotakucom and added:
- aviccene likes this
- madamseyer likes this
- sevenyearsgone likes this
- qalactic likes this
- wellistandcorrected likes this
- gold-phoenix reblogged this from kotakucom
- ohgodwhoseroomsarethese likes this
- promethean-paradox reblogged this from kotakucom
- elmong0 reblogged this from kotakucom
- This was featured in #Gaming
- maxsebela likes this
- kotakucom posted this